if you’re physical about your cooking this is the only way to make brussel sprouts.
- cast iron frying pan
- stovetop capable of getting that frying pan really hot
- brussel sprouts - 1-3 lbs.
- kosher salt
- chili powder
- onion sliced - 1 large
- garlic sliced (4 cloves)
- olive oil
- dijon mustard (optional)
- clean and halve the brussel sprouts. halving them is important
- get that frying pan hot, like really frickin’ hot, but not so hot that your oil smokes
- pour in enough olive oil to coat the bottom of the frying pan
- put a layer of brussel sprouts in the pan, cut face down
- let the brussel sprouts sear
- liberally salt and pepper the sprouts while cooking
- add onions and garlic
- let onions soften and start to scorch
- add walnuts
- toss the whole concoction with a few passes of chili powder
- if stuff falls out of the frying pan, STFU and eat it.
- when the mixture has reached the appropriate level of badass sear remove from heat and serve with dijon mustard on the side
- evaluate offers of baby-daddy-hood from consumers of these sprouts
i will acknowledge that it is indeed possible to improve upon this recipe through the judicious application of bacon. however, bacon use is widely regarded as cheating.